Low-tech coach restoration (5)
Well I finally got around to finishing my little restoration job on these old coaches. Here's the 6-wheel Van to dia V13, converted from a W3. I use a simplified version of the 1906 livery on my coaches. I did have a bit of trouble painting the panels on a couple of the coaches, as my normal method works best on new and sharply defined panels.
Here's the R1 All first. A big word of thanks to all who helped find the right running numbers for this diagram, both on the gwr e-list and RMweb. The R1s were numbered 1-8 and I initially thought this was a great opportunity to have a coach numbered "1". I even applied the first transfer, but then found it simply looked odd! So I chose no. 7 instead.
Here's the G20, a Third class saloon. The glazing has been fitted, I just like it clean. So much for the interior detailing, you can't really see any of it. Oh well. In case you're wondering, the Weasel is on the other side.
Here's one I restored earlier, one of the little 4-wheel V2s. I have to say Colin had a great taste in coaches when he originally built these a long time ago.
Another one from the first batch I restored, the U16 6-wheel compo, with the luggage windows now appropriately "blinded".
And finally a line-up of the three newly done coaches, ready for service. As the header says, this is all very low-tech but it has been a nice project and I like the idea of giving Colin's old coaches a new lease on life. There's a message in there for all of us balding old farts, I think: It's never too late!