A shed and a lock-up

I’ve scratchbuilt some more buildings for Farthing.



First up is this small goods shed, adapted from a prototype built by Eassie & Co. at Speech House Road station on the Severn & Wye. The contractors Eassie & Co. had an interesting history, nicely described in this PDF file by the GSIA.



The prototype had a brick base, but I decided on a timber base and a few other detail changes to suit my tastes. The roof is detachable so I can detail the interior.



The doors are modelled open so you can see what’s going on inside. I like the effect but it does add to the time and cost as you have to model the interior walls and framing too.



One reason I chose this prototype was the potential for a nice view through the open doors across the tracks, in line with my preference for “see through” structures at the front of layouts.



There’s also a view through the side door. The prototype had the door right up against one corner, probably to save space inside. It looked odd in model form though, so I moved it. If only the real world was so easy to change!



Here’s another little building I’m working on. This is a lock-up/storage room based on a prototype at Long Marston. There was a very similar structure at Lustleigh.



 My version is some 25% larger than the prototype, in order to add a bit of mass.



I normally use the Wills sheets for slate roofs, but on this lock-up I thought I’d try out the slate sheets from York Modelmaking. I have seen them used with very convincing results, not least on Iain Robinson’s wonderful creations.



Unfortunately I had forgotten how sensitive paper can be to glue stains and bending/fraying at the edges. Experienced card modellers would no doubt have made a better job of it!



Here’s a direct comparison between the Wills sheets (left) and the York Modelmaking strips (right) before painting.



I’m really not very happy with the roof, and may give it another try. Incidentally the prototype photo doesn’t seem to show any gutters or drainpipes, which puzzles me a bit.



The original plan was to use these buildings on “The sidings” – the latest of my Farthing layouts. But meanwhile I've found another prototype which I think will fit the purpose better. So I think I’ll save these ones for “Farthing Road”, another layout that I’m planning.


Comments

  1. Very fine work....clean and precise. These will look marvellous finished with your considerable painting skills. I agree about the view through, much more interesting- I also admire your "grit" in detailing the insides...I often find it takles as long as the rest of the structure :-) Glad you found the York Modelmaking slates were useful, they are fiddly and you only really get one go at placing them, but your loof really good here. Thanks, too, for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Iain, thanks very much for your kind words.

    As you can see I struggled a bit with the York slates, but at least I have taken the first steps with them. I actually rather like the Wills sheets, but once you get used to looking at thinner alternatives, they do seem a bit thick.

    I look forward to painting the buildings, although now I have got sidetracked with a loco :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment